Date(s) - 12/06/2014
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Christ Lutheran Church - Palatine
Troop 188 Merit Badge Blitz
*** We have updated some of the details from the last email I sent on this event.It’s not too late! Please register to participate in one or more of the Merit Badge workshops. Just email me at email@example.com.
– Reminder, we are going to start the Merit Badge Clinic an hour earlier, at noon on Dec. 6th
– The pre-reqs for Drafting are now listed below.
– Congratulations to those who participated in the Astronomy viewing last Friday night. A pdf of the Merit Badge workbook is attached so you can continue to work on your pre-reqs. If you missed the viewing session, you can still complete the Merit Badge after the 6th. Mr. Johnson will give you the details on how to finish at the clinic.
– Have a Happy Thanksgiving and congratulations to Tim Norman, the Troop’s newest Eagle Scout!
December 6th, Troop 188 will be hosting its first ever Merit Badge Blitz Day where you can earn up to 5 Merit Badges. Here are the Badge workshops we are offering and the Merit Badge Counselors you’ll be working with:
12:00 – 12:30 p.m. Architecture – Mr. Schneiderwind
12:35 – 1:05 p.m. Drafting – Mr. Mitchell
1:10 – 1:40 Truck Transportation – Mr. Connor
1:45 – 2:45 Traffic Safety – Mr. Corcoran
2:50 – 3:50 Astronomy – Mr. Johnson
Here’s how it works:
– Register for as many of the Merit Badges as you want. Let me know which Badge workshops you want to take via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1st so the Merit Badge Counselors know how many Scouts to expect in their workshop.
– Do the pre-requisite work that each Merit Badge Counselor has identified below
– Architecture may have a walking tour of Palatine the morning of Dec. 6th before the clinic starts. We’ll send you the details on that soon.
– Come on December 6th from 12-4 p.m. at the CLC. If all of your pre-requisite work is done, you will earn your badge that day. Even if you don’t have the pre-reqs done for every badge, you can still take the workshops to get partial credit and finish the badge on your own later.
Badge Description and Pre-Requisite Work:
Please download the appropriate Merit Badge Workbooks from www.scouting.org/meritbadges.aspx
ARCHITECTURE: Architecture involves designing buildings and structures where we live, work, play, and worship. Architecture is more than common shelter, it is a work of art that combines design and function. Scouts will study the types of buildings that create our community.
o 1a, 1b, and 5
o Join a walking tour of downtown Palatine the morning of Dec. 6th for anyone that wants a guided tour for 1a. Details to come.
ASTRONOMY: Scouts will study how activities in space affect our own planet and bear witness to the wonders of the night sky like the nebulae, old stars dying and exploding, meteor showers, the moon, planets, and stars.
o Do the required activities in the Astronomy Merit Badge Workbook which is attached
DRAFTING: This is a highly refined form of drawing used to communicate ideas to engineers, architects, and craftspeople. Scouts will learn the importance of accuracy and simplicity in developing a drawing that shows precise details in a simple format.
1-A hand Sketch of a small part, showing a top view, front view, and right side.
2-A hand sketch of a small house layout.3-a scale drawing of a small part showing all three views like there sketch.4-a scale drawing of a small house layout.5-Requires 1,2,3,& 4 are to be dimensioned and lettered, tell what is happening in the sketches and drawings.
TRAFFIC SAFETY: This badge will give Scouts some crucial skills to stay safer when driving a car on a highway, riding a bike across town, or jogging across a busy street.
o 1 and 5 in the Traffic Safety Workbook (5b can be done with Internet research)
TRUCK TRANSPORTATION: Trucking, or transporting goods and supplies, is a large and important industry. Scouts will learn the role of truck transportation to keep our economy vibrant and stores stocked with goods; the various types of truck engines, and how to prepare trucking shipments. Mr. Conner will be bringing a semi to the Clinic for Scouts to study.
o Complete activities 1, 2, 5, and 8 in the Merit Badge Workbook.
Thank you. Let me know if you have any questions.